grad school, politics, knitting and other meanderings. And not enough time for any of it.

 

 

: : email knit wit : : knitmemoretime@gmail.com

: : previous posts : :
captive tomatos
ok this is funny
thinking about my orange cardigan
my blog doesn't own me
blender barbie
too boring
political stupidity I can't handle anymore
magic erasing power
personality typing
another blog coming soon...


: : archives : :
05.2004 06.2004 07.2004 08.2004 09.2004 10.2004 11.2004 12.2004 01.2005 02.2005 03.2005 04.2005 05.2005 06.2005 07.2005 08.2005 09.2005 10.2005 11.2005

: : daily reads: :
and she knits too
bighappyfunhouse
birdfarm
bookish wendy
feminist blogs
feministe
fidgety budgie
get yourself some boring
the half-assed gourmet
the imposter syndrome
indigirl
j autumn
journal to a muse
kp's ramblings
mad teach
magic eraser
the maryann show
media girl
not your ordinary
the other side of the ocean
professor dork
satan's laundromat
sir edwin pegasus
the third attempt
to live and drive in LA
views from a broad
the wrong side of the bed

 

Progressive Women's Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next |

knit me more time...
Saturday, July 24, 2004
daydreams

Okay, so after reading sir edwin's post yesterday, I went to the bank. While I was standing in line I was listening to the tellers chat about what they were going to do when they went home and over the weekend. I found myself envious of the well-marked off non-work time that they have (granted I don't know if they have 2nd jobs, kids to take care of etc...). For example, later on that same evening I finished dinner and sat down at the computer to do a little more work. Jo asked me what I was doing as the plan was to rent a PPV movie. It was 7pm on a Friday night and I worked for like 45 minutes before finally making myself stop. I was working on Friday evening, and will work today and tomorrow because I didn't get enough done this week. And I don't have well-marked no-work time. I've tried before to fit all my work into a 9-5 M-F kind of schedule, but academic work by nature just doesn't work like that. Even working full time at Borders, I didn't just punch out and have that well-marked time off. I went to school, wrote papers and crap like that. Sometimes I daydream about having such a 9-5 or 8-4 schedule, and I wonder what would ever attract me to academia where no time off is ever really time off in its true sense. Summers, evenings and weekends aren't sacred. No wonder why all the professors in our dept look so stressed out and frazzled all the time. I am also bummed slightly about not going to ASA this year. I just don't have the time or the money and Jo is going to be heading to NY to go into a recording studio during August. Its not that I would miss ASA the meeting itself (ugh- talk about mostly suffering last year) but I will miss the SWS banquet, and hanging out in San Francisco, a city I have never been too. I could actually charge a plane ticket, but with everything else going on I think it would be better to use my resources to go to SWS in January- I love SWS and after taking that January prelim it will be the perfect reward. And where is our Basil? Do you have it? We know we got it in out CSA box last Saturday, but now we can't find it anywhere. Strange, right?

posted by knit wit | 7/24/2004 08:54:00 AM

This page is powered by Blogger.
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com