grad school, politics, knitting and other meanderings. And not enough time for any of it.

 

 

: : email knit wit : : knitmemoretime@gmail.com

: : previous posts : :
the past couple days
I haven't been knitting
dreaming...
Milwaukee and Linda with one L
lush is from the goddesses
survival
grad school
they were clearly better, okay?
for the record
catching up


: : archives : :
05.2004 06.2004 07.2004 08.2004 09.2004 10.2004 11.2004 12.2004 01.2005 02.2005 03.2005 04.2005 05.2005 06.2005 07.2005 08.2005 09.2005 10.2005 11.2005

: : daily reads: :
and she knits too
bighappyfunhouse
birdfarm
bookish wendy
feminist blogs
feministe
fidgety budgie
get yourself some boring
the half-assed gourmet
the imposter syndrome
indigirl
j autumn
journal to a muse
kp's ramblings
mad teach
magic eraser
the maryann show
media girl
not your ordinary
the other side of the ocean
professor dork
satan's laundromat
sir edwin pegasus
the third attempt
to live and drive in LA
views from a broad
the wrong side of the bed

 

Progressive Women's Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next |

knit me more time...
Monday, August 30, 2004
posting blahs

I have the blog posting blahs. Mostly this is because over the weekend I wrote a long post, and then spastically closed my browser window and lost the whole thing. I got so frustrated that I couldn't bare to write it again. I had a wonderful weekend of successfully doing nothing. Sure, I had work I could have done, but instead I sat on the couch, watched TV and knit. I started knitting a sock and last night I successfully "turned the heel". I thought this would be difficult, but it was actually easy and kind of fun. So, maybe I will make socks for everyone for the holidays this year, they are easy and quick to knit. This first pair is for myself, and I think I need some new birks or clogs to show them off. Classes begin this week. I still love and look forward to the beginning of school, even if it means not being home every day anymore. I love going to buy new notebooks and pens and I also look forward to taking the bus again. Jony is also coming to visit tomorrow which will be tons of fun. Jony and I will probably watch the 'resident's RNC speech this week together but I think I'll skip out on most of the RNC. I wish I was in NYC to be at the protests this weekend and this coming week. The protests actually got decent media coverage (despite the fact some stations said "thousands of people" and some said "quarter of a million" and some just said "some people") and they looked incredible. I thought they might have really been broken up and barricaded by the police, like the protest I was at in November after 9/11. I am worried about the election. Kerry's lead in the Electoral Vote Predictor has shrunk. Other polls are dumb because it is the electoral vote that matters. I have some pessimistic predictions about things that might be done to hand Bush the presidency again... Call me a conspiracy theorist, but with this administration, anything is possible. 1) They already caught Bin Laden (this story came out in the UK's Guardian a while ago and then was dropped) and they are going to bring him out and say they caught him a couple weeks before the election. 2) There is going to be some reason to postpone the election. Another terrorist attack, no matter how small, or breech of security that will make postponing the election seem right to fearful Americans. With security the way it is in the US (thanks to Bush- see articles here and here in this month's Mother Jones magazine) this is frighteningly possible. 3) I have little doubt that the GOP will do whatever it can to disenfranchise voters likely to vote democrat (like they did in Florida last time). And tampering with electronic voting machines is all too easy. With private companies running all this- there is little in the way of checks and balances on this process. I see another Florida in 2000. I see thousands of people flooding to DC to protest. My fear is people will roll over and be complacent about it instead.

posted by knit wit | 8/30/2004 09:09:00 AM

This page is powered by Blogger.
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com