grad school, politics, knitting and other meanderings. And not enough time for any of it.

 

 

: : email knit wit : : knitmemoretime@gmail.com

: : previous posts : :
a warrant
the apple gods are with me
classic Knit Wit comedy
the best present ever
So how well do you think you know me?
there's more to life than this
wonderful time of the semester
a cold bath
i shouldn't have gone back to sleep...
back to the mundane joys of life


: : archives : :
05.2004 06.2004 07.2004 08.2004 09.2004 10.2004 11.2004 12.2004 01.2005 02.2005 03.2005 04.2005 05.2005 06.2005 07.2005 08.2005 09.2005 10.2005 11.2005

: : daily reads: :
and she knits too
bighappyfunhouse
birdfarm
bookish wendy
feminist blogs
feministe
fidgety budgie
get yourself some boring
the half-assed gourmet
the imposter syndrome
indigirl
j autumn
journal to a muse
kp's ramblings
mad teach
magic eraser
the maryann show
media girl
not your ordinary
the other side of the ocean
professor dork
satan's laundromat
sir edwin pegasus
the third attempt
to live and drive in LA
views from a broad
the wrong side of the bed

 

Progressive Women's Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next |

knit me more time...
Saturday, November 27, 2004
5 minutes of the news was all it took

Just to remind readers: I haven't watched any TV news since 11/2. I've read the news online from various places but no TV news for me. Well, I woke up this morning, turned on the TV, and out of habit (I used to be a total TV news junkie) I punched "61" in to the remote and found myself watching a CNN headline news. It wasn's so terrible- some crap about the holiday shopping season. Then came the report on the overturning of the Ukraine election. I found myself nearly in tears all over again while watching thousands of Ukraine people take their election anger to the streets. 5 days of solid protesting and mayhem and their election results are overturned. Now, why couldn't we get our shit together and do that? There are enough complaints of voting fraud- some with very real evidence of fraud. Is our country too vast- our different interests too different to even be united against corrupt elections? What happened to our model democracy (if it ever was one) when we can't even insure that our elections are valid? Even our young, first time voters (as I have heard from TA friends) think the system is rigged. Instead Americans are storming Best Buy at 6am and flocking to malls in the millions. It seems we just can't unite- even against the dark force of Bush&Co. I've seen so much bickering online about who's fault "loosing" is. People who should be united against the fascist neo-con agenda instead arguing over whether or not campaigning for months for the democratic candidate was a waste of time. Online discussions on smirkingchimp replaying the same crap about who would have been worse in office, a democrat or republican in office. Jeezem folks. Look around. Bush is pushing an agenda that is so anti-democracy, anti-woman, pro-war, anti-gay, anti-civil rights, pro-christian, pro-rich etc... As soon as the news awarded him a "mandate" he's been living it up with this crap. Somehow we all need to become one single force against this and I don't see it happening. Maybe we need a real leader. A Ghandi. A Martin Luther King Jr. Maybe it just isn't going to happen at all. Well that was 5 minutes of the news for me. I've flipped the channel to "Message in a Bottle" while I finish my coffee. I don't care about the movie but I love that it was filmed at my favorite beach in Maine. And soon I'll go back to working on the very difficult and perhaps finally final draft of my masters thesis. [I'll post pics of our Thanksgiving dinner as soon as I load them onto the computer.]

posted by knit wit | 11/27/2004 07:56:00 AM

This page is powered by Blogger.
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com