grad school, politics, knitting and other meanderings. And not enough time for any of it.

 

 

: : email knit wit : : knitmemoretime@gmail.com

: : previous posts : :
grad school low point(s)
wonky sociology
random things
no more drafts
stop the semester now- I want off
5 minutes of the news was all it took
a warrant
the apple gods are with me
classic Knit Wit comedy
the best present ever


: : archives : :
05.2004 06.2004 07.2004 08.2004 09.2004 10.2004 11.2004 12.2004 01.2005 02.2005 03.2005 04.2005 05.2005 06.2005 07.2005 08.2005 09.2005 10.2005 11.2005

: : daily reads: :
and she knits too
bighappyfunhouse
birdfarm
bookish wendy
feminist blogs
feministe
fidgety budgie
get yourself some boring
the half-assed gourmet
the imposter syndrome
indigirl
j autumn
journal to a muse
kp's ramblings
mad teach
magic eraser
the maryann show
media girl
not your ordinary
the other side of the ocean
professor dork
satan's laundromat
sir edwin pegasus
the third attempt
to live and drive in LA
views from a broad
the wrong side of the bed

 

Progressive Women's Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next |

knit me more time...
Monday, December 06, 2004
letting it go

I didn't blog this weekend because I was frantically trying to finish that *last* draft of my masters thesis. It was painful- difficult and right up until early this morning I wasn't sure if I was going to make it. I don't know about the end, I don't know about the changes I made, I don't know whether or not the lit review is critical enough... blah blah blah... Anyway, I printed it out this morning and gave it to my committee. It was hard to let go of it- but if does feel damn good. Now I just have to worry and loose sleep over the defense. I know, I know, I know I probably wouldn't have come this far only to find out I won't pass or that they don't want me going on to a PhD, but it is still a nerve-wracking rite of passage. So, my spirits are slightly dampened by all the work I know have to do on other things (my job, stats exam, seminar paper etc...) and my spirits are dampened from a conversation with some fellow female grad students about how some male grad students can do anything ("here's some crap on a piece of paper...") and praise, funding, awards etc... just stick right to them like fly paper. And then said males play the game for everything it is worth. This gendered aspect of grad school is always there, but sometimes I am confronted with it and it sickens me. I wonder why I don't play the game and then realize, I can't. This reminds of a wonderful poem I read on another blog: "Theorize power Mark! Weber! Talcott! Parsons! Still all dead white guys."

posted by knit wit | 12/06/2004 02:50:00 PM

This page is powered by Blogger.
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com