grad school, politics, knitting and other meanderings. And not enough time for any of it.

 

 

: : email knit wit : : knitmemoretime@gmail.com

: : previous posts : :
a mystery
37?
snowed in
expectations
mourning
human intelligence
hazy shade of winter
the privileged speak
because he's hiding.
nerdiness


: : archives : :
05.2004 06.2004 07.2004 08.2004 09.2004 10.2004 11.2004 12.2004 01.2005 02.2005 03.2005 04.2005 05.2005 06.2005 07.2005 08.2005 09.2005 10.2005 11.2005

: : daily reads: :
and she knits too
bighappyfunhouse
birdfarm
bookish wendy
feminist blogs
feministe
fidgety budgie
get yourself some boring
the half-assed gourmet
the imposter syndrome
indigirl
j autumn
journal to a muse
kp's ramblings
mad teach
magic eraser
the maryann show
media girl
not your ordinary
the other side of the ocean
professor dork
satan's laundromat
sir edwin pegasus
the third attempt
to live and drive in LA
views from a broad
the wrong side of the bed

 

Progressive Women's Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next |

knit me more time...
Tuesday, January 25, 2005
musical funk

I don't mean funk music, but that I am in a musical funk. I love all the music I listen to but none of it is really hitting the spot right now. I've actually been in such a funk for a couple months now. I have the same half a dozen itunes playlists that I've been listening to on my ipod but they just aren't doing anything for me. They're the usual mix of Ani Difranco, Indigo Girls, Dar William, PJ Harvey, Bjork, Tori Amos (and some Annie Lennox, REM, Cat Stevens and Simon & Garfunkel). I have the new REM album and I listen to it a lot but it is kind of depressing- a wonderful album that is a throw back to the older REM (although not a great as Automatic for the People). At the end of last semester I listened to all Pink Floyd while I was writing (Meddle, Wish You Were Here, Animals and the Dark Side of the Moon). I also love Led Zeppelin, ABBA, Aimee Mann, Fiona Apple, Janis Joplin and others, but I haven't felt much like listening to any of those. There just isn't any *new* music I like. Honestly, Ani Difranco's last 2 albums have been disappointments (there only a couple songs on each that I like- her peak, I am sad to say, might have been Revelling/Reckoning). I tried to get into the new U2, but couldn't. I used to run the music department at Borders, so I listened to all kinds of *pop* music and liked some of it (Lauren Hill for example, or the first Macy Grey album). But, there is more pop music that I don't like- for example, if I hear that "run through the halls of my high school" song again I'll run. And don't recommend the White Stripes. I don't like *dance* music (although I can appreciate when it is done well). Every lesbian I have know has tried to get me into Melissa Ferrick, and it just isn't happening. I wish, wish, wish, there was a new Fiona Apple album as I think she is one of the most talented songwriters to come out in a long time. There actually is a new album, but Epic won't release it as it doesn't have a "hit song" and isn't "commercial enough"- which is exactly why I loath most pop music. Is it just that the music I listen to is so dated that the artists just don't come out with much anymore- or loose their steam with new albums? (the Indigo Girls would be an exception to this- I love their most recent albums). Is there some wonderful new artist/band that I don't know about? The lyrics must be complex and well-written, and not trite. The music must be very good as well. Any recommendations, blog readers? Or should I just take my usual music and mix it up again in itunes?

posted by knit wit | 1/25/2005 06:40:00 AM

This page is powered by Blogger.
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com