grad school, politics, knitting and other meanderings. And not enough time for any of it.

 

 

: : email knit wit : : knitmemoretime@gmail.com

: : previous posts : :
my high school on MTV
a short funny christmas story
last dispatch from Maine
cooking
let it snow
ginger snaps
holidaze in Maine
post from the airport
the reason for the season
very last thing


: : archives : :
05.2004 06.2004 07.2004 08.2004 09.2004 10.2004 11.2004 12.2004 01.2005 02.2005 03.2005 04.2005 05.2005 06.2005 07.2005 08.2005 09.2005 10.2005 11.2005

: : daily reads: :
and she knits too
bighappyfunhouse
birdfarm
bookish wendy
feminist blogs
feministe
fidgety budgie
get yourself some boring
the half-assed gourmet
the imposter syndrome
indigirl
j autumn
journal to a muse
kp's ramblings
mad teach
magic eraser
the maryann show
media girl
not your ordinary
the other side of the ocean
professor dork
satan's laundromat
sir edwin pegasus
the third attempt
to live and drive in LA
views from a broad
the wrong side of the bed

 

Progressive Women's Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next |

knit me more time...
Saturday, January 01, 2005
no new years resolutions for me

Nope. Not this year. In the past I made new years resolutions- the usual things that really apply to any time of the year (not procrastinating, writing more, reading more, knitting more, more yoga, etc... are always relevant). This year I am not filled with so much hope for the new year. Sorry to sound glum but that's just the way it is. With the past year's events; the election, the "war" in Iraq, the recent tsunami disaster (to name a few) my usual hopeful spirit is dampened. Even the christmas songs about world peace and hope didn't move me this season. Instead of new years resolutions when the ball fell (11pm central time), I had lingering questions. Major Questions- the kind that keep me up sometimes at night. Some of them don't have answers- and some are too complex and huge to even ponder for too long.
  • why people don't understand that we aren't at war in Iraq- that we are occupying their country. And those rebels and insurgents are really fighting for their country not to be occupied any more by a foreign power.
  • why it doesn't bother the hell out of people that during this holiday season we needed food drives for soldiers' families. shouldn't soldiers who are risking their lives (regardless of what they are risking their lives for) be paid enough to make it so that their families can afford food? doesn't this make anyone angry that their families need donated cans of food to feed their families??
  • why the hell there are people who have gone back to Sri Lanka to finish their vacation on the beach when so many people there need help with basic needs and 1 out of every 3 people in that country died. How could someone vacation on the same beach and ignore the continued suffering in the towns behind them?
  • why poor people in this country voted for Bush. I know there are reasons and that this was one of the biggest, most successful snow-jobs in history, but it still shocks me to see, for example, so many people who can barely afford christmas shopping at walmart with Bush/Cheney stickers on their cars.
  • when will people see what a total shmuck Bush is? When will they get it? Will it ever happen? It is so horrible that we are going to have another 4 years of him- like with a movie that I rented and is torture to watch, I want to check Internet Movie Database to see what the end is so that I am prepared- so that I can keep watching.
okay. the list could go on but I guess I'll stop. Seriously, though. It is a new year. I guess there is a little hope it could be better than the last year. I'll hang on to that and spend today knitting, watching more of the Twilight Zone marathon, and eating left overs from last night's new year's dinner. All that work I have to do in 2005 (before 1/18/05 to be exact), well, I'll start that tomorrow.


posted by knit wit | 1/01/2005 08:38:00 AM

This page is powered by Blogger.
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com