grad school, politics, knitting and other meanderings. And not enough time for any of it.

 

 

: : email knit wit : : knitmemoretime@gmail.com

: : previous posts : :
straight up now
turning over a new something
Miami details
Miami
time, time, time what has become of me?
most loathsome
musical funk
a mystery
37?
snowed in


: : archives : :
05.2004 06.2004 07.2004 08.2004 09.2004 10.2004 11.2004 12.2004 01.2005 02.2005 03.2005 04.2005 05.2005 06.2005 07.2005 08.2005 09.2005 10.2005 11.2005

: : daily reads: :
and she knits too
bighappyfunhouse
birdfarm
bookish wendy
feminist blogs
feministe
fidgety budgie
get yourself some boring
the half-assed gourmet
the imposter syndrome
indigirl
j autumn
journal to a muse
kp's ramblings
mad teach
magic eraser
the maryann show
media girl
not your ordinary
the other side of the ocean
professor dork
satan's laundromat
sir edwin pegasus
the third attempt
to live and drive in LA
views from a broad
the wrong side of the bed

 

Progressive Women's Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next |

knit me more time...
Saturday, February 05, 2005
calling it quits

I work contingently at Borders. I only have to work there once every 3 months to keep my pay/position. It used to be that I welcomed working there as it was a break from the intense craziness of grad school, but in the past year or so even doing a shift once in a while has been torture. I worked a couple shifts over the holidays and it was fun to catch up with some of the people who work there, but I called out sick for the last shift because I had too much other work to do. Now they just call and leave me messages asking me to work and I ignore them. So, I was thinking yesterday, now that I have a 12 month job, and now that it seems other little projects come up where I can make extra money, I don't need to hang on to Borders. I could let that freakin' company go. I used to justify staying because of the discount but I can get books cheaper online anyway and I haven't used the discount in a while. It's hard to imagine doing so as I have worked for them since 1998. Back in 1998 the company was much different- each store was unique and run in whatever way it needed to be. Through the years I've held various manager positions, been a victim of having my position terminated and loosing my job, and then gone back to hold supervisor and bookseller positions again. I've seen the company turn increasingly corporate (to a now nauseating degree). My last Borders store was all about drama- we used to say it was like a soap opera that would be named "As the Page Turned." Back then, the drama at Borders consumed me- I was wrapped up in it. I would love to leave that all behind by severing the ties for good. Now here's the thing though. I've never willingly quit a job- wrote a resignation letter. The bookstore I worked in before Borders was a large independent store where I was basically doing the jobs of merchandising, register and event manager while only being paid to be a bookseller. When I quit I don't it came as a surprise to the owners- they had passed me up for 2 manager positions in a row and I had finally figured out they were only hiring men for manager positions. I was pissed and felt unappreciated and they knew it. So, I've never just left a job just because I didn't need it anymore. It feels weird. But, think it is time to quit. A resignation letter might be in order folks!

posted by knit wit | 2/05/2005 08:09:00 AM

This page is powered by Blogger.
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com