grad school, politics, knitting and other meanderings. And not enough time for any of it.

 

 

: : email knit wit : : knitmemoretime@gmail.com

: : previous posts : :
his papal-ness
2 whole weeks
finished
how do folks get to my blog?
eating out in the Mad City
obligitory Gates posting
money*
mundane dreams
Monday night
inventory


: : archives : :
05.2004 06.2004 07.2004 08.2004 09.2004 10.2004 11.2004 12.2004 01.2005 02.2005 03.2005 04.2005 05.2005 06.2005 07.2005 08.2005 09.2005 10.2005 11.2005

: : daily reads: :
and she knits too
bighappyfunhouse
birdfarm
bookish wendy
feminist blogs
feministe
fidgety budgie
get yourself some boring
the half-assed gourmet
the imposter syndrome
indigirl
j autumn
journal to a muse
kp's ramblings
mad teach
magic eraser
the maryann show
media girl
not your ordinary
the other side of the ocean
professor dork
satan's laundromat
sir edwin pegasus
the third attempt
to live and drive in LA
views from a broad
the wrong side of the bed

 

Progressive Women's Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next |

knit me more time...
Friday, February 25, 2005
literarily deficient

Tonight I am watching (as I blog this) the movie Flowers in the Attic. It is one seriously messed up story on so many levels. I can't believe that this was one of my favorite movies as a kid as right now I am finding the story kind of disturbing. I also remember reading the book. I went through a phase of reading VC Andrews (the woman who still writes books from the grave) and Stephen King. I am almost ashamed to admit that I read such cheesy books, but I was in 3rd grade with a way too-high reading level for the usual 3rd grade books (I read Carrie before I even understood what getting a period was). I remember lounging on my bed during the summer reading an entire book in a day. Now I can skim/read a non-fiction book in a day but it's just not anywhere near the same thing. I don't read fiction. I don't know what it is. I can't help feeling like I am missing out on some other world but I am too leery to take a chance on a book I won't like. When I worked at bookstores I used to hear people rave about certain books, but I would start reading them and grow weary and never finish. I even have some books people gave me and swore I would love including Confederacy of Dunces and Good Benito (because I loved Einstein's Dreams by the same author). But, right now I am enjoying reading Naple's Feminism & Methodology. Maybe I need some fiction here folks. Maybe I haven't found the kind of fiction yet that I am going to get hooked on. I have some favorite fiction books (and the only 8 fiction books I have completed reading in the past 10 years): 1984 We the Living (this was Ayn Rand's first book. I never liked her other ones. It is more auto-biographical and less of her philosophy) The Handmaid's Tale My Antonia The Jungle (this was the book that originally sparked my vegetarianism, although I also just love the story itself.) Anthem The Voyage Out Beloved Am I missing out on the world of fiction literature? Do I even have time to add any more reading to my already heavy load (and there is a prelim around the corner). Are they even kinds of books out there I would love and just don't know about yet?

posted by knit wit | 2/25/2005 10:02:00 PM

This page is powered by Blogger.
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com