grad school, politics, knitting and other meanderings. And not enough time for any of it.

 

 

: : email knit wit : : knitmemoretime@gmail.com

: : previous posts : :
money*
mundane dreams
Monday night
inventory
best of times
I can't talk to you, I'm thinking.
dear blog
saturday night
knuckle down
calling it quits


: : archives : :
05.2004 06.2004 07.2004 08.2004 09.2004 10.2004 11.2004 12.2004 01.2005 02.2005 03.2005 04.2005 05.2005 06.2005 07.2005 08.2005 09.2005 10.2005 11.2005

: : daily reads: :
and she knits too
bighappyfunhouse
birdfarm
bookish wendy
feminist blogs
feministe
fidgety budgie
get yourself some boring
the half-assed gourmet
the imposter syndrome
indigirl
j autumn
journal to a muse
kp's ramblings
mad teach
magic eraser
the maryann show
media girl
not your ordinary
the other side of the ocean
professor dork
satan's laundromat
sir edwin pegasus
the third attempt
to live and drive in LA
views from a broad
the wrong side of the bed

 

Progressive Women's Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next |

knit me more time...
Friday, February 18, 2005
obligitory Gates posting

Despite the wonderful pictures (found here and here) and Nina's wonderful story of sneaking into the press box for the opening, I must say that Christo's Gates in NYC doesn't thrill me. I tried to get into the hoopla and I've given up. Actually, I think if I were in NY the Gates would bug me. A friend of mine who lives there says everyone in her area hates them- that it is like safety orange and reminds her of the terror threat levels. The NY Times has an entire webpage devoted to the Gates with public reviews of the Gates. Some of these comments are especially amusing:
"The thing has to be a practical joke. A garish, giant, ORANGE, plastic-y practical joke. That's my explanation. I have no other." "The gates are a bunch of 4"x4"'s erected over paths and hung with construction orange material. Some great publicity guru is going to rake in a fortune in drawings and other documentation. Wish it were I. I seriously doubt with all of the loot involved, Christo even chose orange for any other reason than that it was on sale at some public auction. The lumber was a probably a closeout from a McMansion subdivision. And three weeks from now, nobody will care." "It seems to me that Christo and Jeanne-Claude's projects are to the art world what doing a cannonball off the high board is to Olympic diving."
But, hey, art for arts sake is fine with me. I don't pretend to know a whole lot about art, but when I lived in NY I used to love getting lost in the met and moma, and my favorite, the tate modern in London. Maybe something in central park that tied in more with nature instead of screaming against it. But, I haven't seen the Gates so who knows what my in person reaction would be. All I do know is that the Gates in Mass are my favorite. Absolutely freakin' brilliant.


posted by knit wit | 2/18/2005 10:00:00 PM

This page is powered by Blogger.
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com