grad school, politics, knitting and other meanderings. And not enough time for any of it.

 

 

: : email knit wit : : knitmemoretime@gmail.com

: : previous posts : :
ordinary interactions
day two
crushing
My sister's trip to Spain
another mythic standard bites the grad school dust...
So this is your compassion and your "culture of li...
more gross
gross
strange dream
adventures in dogsitting


: : archives : :
05.2004 06.2004 07.2004 08.2004 09.2004 10.2004 11.2004 12.2004 01.2005 02.2005 03.2005 04.2005 05.2005 06.2005 07.2005 08.2005 09.2005 10.2005 11.2005

: : daily reads: :
and she knits too
bighappyfunhouse
birdfarm
bookish wendy
feminist blogs
feministe
fidgety budgie
get yourself some boring
the half-assed gourmet
the imposter syndrome
indigirl
j autumn
journal to a muse
kp's ramblings
mad teach
magic eraser
the maryann show
media girl
not your ordinary
the other side of the ocean
professor dork
satan's laundromat
sir edwin pegasus
the third attempt
to live and drive in LA
views from a broad
the wrong side of the bed

 

Progressive Women's Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next |

knit me more time...
Thursday, March 31, 2005
conference time

I mostly likely won't be posting until Sunday. I am heading to Minneapolis for a conference in the morning. I can't focus on what I want to wear- I am far too indecisive and even deciding what to wear while traveling tomorrow is making me a little frantic. Not to mention the fact I need to do some final tweaking on my presentation and I decided only this evening to make hand outs. Getting things done at the very last minute is becoming far too common, and judging from everyone else around me, a usual occurrence for grad school. The panel I am presenting on has been a mess. And is still a mess. The first organizer was using an incorrect email address for me, and then got peeved when I didn't reply to the emails I never got. I must have missed some info about the length of the presentation and about the equipment available (such as an overhead). So, I emailed her again last month with these questions, and she replied back that she had had surgery and wouldn't be running the panel. She pointed me to a new organizer/discussant. I sent this person my paper, with the aforementioned questions and received no reply. Then, the other day she emailed everyone to say she also was not going to attend the meeting, but that our panel would be fine, sans discussant and sans organizer. Then, this morning I got an email that there is a new 3rd person who is the new organizer/discussant. So, I gathered from someone else I know from that is presenting and has presented before that I should plan to talk for 15 minutes. I gathered from someone else that that equals 8-9 pages of double-spaced text. I gather I won't have an overhead, so I decided to go with handouts. I have long quotations that I would rather not waste time reading. I guess this is how things go, but since it is my first conference presentation, I would like to go into it feeling slightly more secure and aware of what is going on. I'm sure it will go okay. I just keep trying to remind myself that my advisor said it was good practice and that generally people have said I am a good public speaker (I don't know, I never remember actually presenting anything- the more outgoing Knit Wit takes over for these presentations). I should also say that I'm not bringing any work with me. I am looking forward to hanging out with some people I see only 2 times a year and I need a break. I didn't take a break last week, and this week I am feeling some burnout. Hopefully some good food and drinks with great people and change in scenery will help me recharge.

posted by knit wit | 3/31/2005 08:58:00 PM

This page is powered by Blogger.
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com