grad school, politics, knitting and other meanderings. And not enough time for any of it.

 

 

: : email knit wit : : knitmemoretime@gmail.com

: : previous posts : :
2 good things
things I am insanely tired of
hey mother nature
wake up call
easter candy
around the internet
random meanderings
new knitting project
*self preservation*
what more do people want from me?


: : archives : :
05.2004 06.2004 07.2004 08.2004 09.2004 10.2004 11.2004 12.2004 01.2005 02.2005 03.2005 04.2005 05.2005 06.2005 07.2005 08.2005 09.2005 10.2005 11.2005

: : daily reads: :
and she knits too
bighappyfunhouse
birdfarm
bookish wendy
feminist blogs
feministe
fidgety budgie
get yourself some boring
the half-assed gourmet
the imposter syndrome
indigirl
j autumn
journal to a muse
kp's ramblings
mad teach
magic eraser
the maryann show
media girl
not your ordinary
the other side of the ocean
professor dork
satan's laundromat
sir edwin pegasus
the third attempt
to live and drive in LA
views from a broad
the wrong side of the bed

 

Progressive Women's Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next |

knit me more time...
Monday, March 21, 2005
Monday Morning

It's pretty quiet around here (few bloggers out there and fewer emails). I am dogsitting so the dog has been fed and has gone out and I am going to head into work soon. I spent a couple hours on the phone last night with my best friend from back home- thank goodness there is someone I can talk to about anything for over 2 hours, and we still could have talked more if we weren't so tired! I also have to go to the dentist later- something I am not looking forward too as my jaw always suffers for a while afterward. I am getting a crown checked out that I got years ago as I think it is loose. I'm pretty sure I'll need a new one and my insurance covers 0% of that. When I first got the crown my insurance covered like 60% of it. It's great that I had better insurance working retail than I have now! Yesterday I saw "Robots" with my BBBS little sister. I expected to be entertained, laughing and crying like when I saw "Finding Nemo." Well, I didn't laugh once (ok, the "Britany Gears" line was pretty funny). I thought the movie was not only totally not funny, but actually chilled me to the core. Yeah, the kids in the movie theatre were cracking up at some silly stuff, but the adults weren't laughing. The movie is dark- robots sent to the chop-shop by roaming street sweepers. Robots can be just snatched up and disappeared for looking different and being "outmodded." I'd have to see it again but I thought there was also some race stuff going on there too- the robots that weren't outmodded all had blue eyes, and lighter skin- the new upgrades were very "white arian race" in a way that was pretty messed up. It is chillingly like "Metropolis" in some ways, and also makes some other major social commentary that I thought was pretty clear. The "disenfranchised" in this movie are the robots who have all kinds of character and charm, but are old and need replacement parts that the robot government has stop making for them (instead they want everyone to upgrade to some frightening new, shiney, and all the same kind of robot). There is a small line in there about these robots not having health insurance to get repaired- but the healthcare statement was already obvious. The saddest part of the movie is that the Robby's father is growing old and can't get the parts he needs to repair himself anymore... the social commentary goes on and on. But, the downtrodden win in the end- so it is totallyw worth seeing. Just don't expect it to be funny. On to another subject- I was pissed of enough last week that congress didn't have other, more important things to investigate than baseball steroid use. Well, now they have dropped budget discussions to interfere with the Schiavo case. Putting aside all medical issues that I am not so familiar with, I think that there are some major implications and contradictions in this case that are just below the news story surface. For instance- the president and repugs in congress have stepped in to make a "culture of life" decision. Oh- give me a freakin' break. What about the 17000 Iraqis that are dead or the over 1500 US soldiers? What about the millions of US children who don't have healthcare (like my BBBS little sister, who totally got the healthcare message in Robots loud and clear). So, isn't this really a "culture of certain lives" and not a "culture of [all] lives?" And I think the interference in the rights of a married couple to make medical decisions is also really interesting and hypocritical as all hell. I mean, a lot of what gay and lesbian couples are asking for is that right to make medical decisions for each other. I thought that was part of the sacredness of marriage that we just couldn't participate in for fear of ruining it for everyone else. So, ummm, you're undermining this for everyone anyway? Okay- that's enough of a rant for today. I've got to get ready and leave.

posted by knit wit | 3/21/2005 08:03:00 AM

This page is powered by Blogger.
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com