grad school, politics, knitting and other meanderings. And not enough time for any of it.

 

 

: : email knit wit : : knitmemoretime@gmail.com

: : previous posts : :
**yawn**
the intersections of defense spending and my homet...
bon voyage Maryann!
blogging news
& the train wreck comes to a momentary stop.
goodies from the city* (goodies from the sea)
one pissed off bean.
wine-o
unexpected
sociology shindig


: : archives : :
05.2004 06.2004 07.2004 08.2004 09.2004 10.2004 11.2004 12.2004 01.2005 02.2005 03.2005 04.2005 05.2005 06.2005 07.2005 08.2005 09.2005 10.2005 11.2005

: : daily reads: :
and she knits too
bighappyfunhouse
birdfarm
bookish wendy
feminist blogs
feministe
fidgety budgie
get yourself some boring
the half-assed gourmet
the imposter syndrome
indigirl
j autumn
journal to a muse
kp's ramblings
mad teach
magic eraser
the maryann show
media girl
not your ordinary
the other side of the ocean
professor dork
satan's laundromat
sir edwin pegasus
the third attempt
to live and drive in LA
views from a broad
the wrong side of the bed

 

Progressive Women's Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next |

knit me more time...
Monday, March 07, 2005
the morning news

I'm flipping through the morning news shows again while drinking my coffee. I should get in the shower- but since having the flu I still feel like I've been hit by a truck (or SUV, see below). Anyway, instead of talking back to the silly news crap (I talk back to news on TV all the time) I thought maybe I should put my commentary here instead. News story #1: Chimps attack. There's a woman crying on TV b/c her husband is in the hospital after they have both been attacked by chimps in a zoo. It is painful to watch her loose it on national TV, but irritating to hear her say over and over "I don't know why they would do this." All sympathy aside, I'll say the same thing I said when that guy (Siegfried or Roy) was attacked by one of his lions; maybe wild animals get pissed off when they have to live in captivity. Maybe they get pissed off at people for keeping them there. I have always hated zoos for this same reason- don't the animals all look sad sitting in their fake "natural" settings behind glass and bars? Yeah, yeah zoos may do some rescue work, and save some endangered animals, but wild animals really shouldn't be held captive. Even the birds in the cages at petsmart make me feel sad. What bird would want to live in a small cage? News story #2: Side-impact crash tests. Another case of blaming the victim here (I'm talking about cars, not people in them). Sure, small cars shouldn't be made like crushable tin cans, but maybe we should also look at the huge SUVs that this test had to be created to cover impacts from. Maybe they are dangerous to other people on the road. Maybe 90% of the people who drive them have them as status symbols and don't actually need them- and if side-impact crashes from large vehicles (SUVs) are the 2nd leading cause of death on the roads, maybe someone should talk about why people buy vehicles they don't need instead of being all shocked and surprised that it isn't good for a small car to be hit by such a hugely large vehicle. News story #3: Hulk's not getting along with his neighbors. Oh give me a freakin' break. Isn't there something worth reporting more than this? Who the fuck cares?

posted by knit wit | 3/07/2005 07:39:00 AM

This page is powered by Blogger.
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com