grad school, politics, knitting and other meanderings. And not enough time for any of it.

 

 

: : email knit wit : : knitmemoretime@gmail.com

: : previous posts : :
new knitting project
*self preservation*
what more do people want from me?
the morning news
**yawn**
the intersections of defense spending and my homet...
bon voyage Maryann!
blogging news
& the train wreck comes to a momentary stop.
goodies from the city* (goodies from the sea)


: : archives : :
05.2004 06.2004 07.2004 08.2004 09.2004 10.2004 11.2004 12.2004 01.2005 02.2005 03.2005 04.2005 05.2005 06.2005 07.2005 08.2005 09.2005 10.2005 11.2005

: : daily reads: :
and she knits too
bighappyfunhouse
birdfarm
bookish wendy
feminist blogs
feministe
fidgety budgie
get yourself some boring
the half-assed gourmet
the imposter syndrome
indigirl
j autumn
journal to a muse
kp's ramblings
mad teach
magic eraser
the maryann show
media girl
not your ordinary
the other side of the ocean
professor dork
satan's laundromat
sir edwin pegasus
the third attempt
to live and drive in LA
views from a broad
the wrong side of the bed

 

Progressive Women's Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next |

knit me more time...
Saturday, March 12, 2005
random meanderings

I don't feel like I have much to blog right now. But, what the hell, I'll blog anyway. This weekend I am devoting to writing- writing many different incarnations of the masters thesis (conference paper, article draft etc...) but I feel like throwing myself into it and I get so much more and working is so much easier with Jo home from NY. I'll try not to start the drinking that is associated with writing until later on in the day, I promise. Yesterday was visit day for potential grad students in our department. I participated as little as possible. I didn't go to visit day when I started as the department gave me 2 whole weeks notice for the event and getting off from work wasn't going to happen. I came on my own which I think was the best way for me to really see the department as it was. The gender area table I sat at was pretty quiet, and the tables for areas with lots of funding were very crowded. One of the two potential students who came up to talk with us very much so wanted funding to do actual qualitative gender research. We were like "yeah, good luck with that" and explained how most funding for people like us who do qualitative gender research is teaching, or desk job PAs like I have. Occassionally one might get funding to take a course- but this happens through international programs and not through the sociology department. He seemed pretty unhappy with that answer- but hey, its the truth. I don't know how it works in other departments. Maybe there are qualitative gender people who get funding (pre-diss) to do their own research. We don't even require a qual methods course, even though we all have to take/suffer through 3 semesters of quant methods. Oh well. I find myself really looking forward to spring break next week. Not because I am going to do anything fun like go someplace warm, but because I can catch up on getting some work done. I really need that week (with a break from my course work) to catch up on things and feel good about it.

posted by knit wit | 3/12/2005 07:14:00 AM

This page is powered by Blogger.
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com