grad school, politics, knitting and other meanderings. And not enough time for any of it.

 

 

: : email knit wit : : knitmemoretime@gmail.com

: : previous posts : :
a windy canoe trip
is it Friday already?
"hey it's me, I'm on the bus"
a little insomnia goes a long way
canoe trip #2
paddling=soreness
Have canoe, will paddle.
mornings
geek news
mystery solved!


: : archives : :
05.2004 06.2004 07.2004 08.2004 09.2004 10.2004 11.2004 12.2004 01.2005 02.2005 03.2005 04.2005 05.2005 06.2005 07.2005 08.2005 09.2005 10.2005 11.2005

: : daily reads: :
and she knits too
bighappyfunhouse
birdfarm
bookish wendy
feminist blogs
feministe
fidgety budgie
get yourself some boring
the half-assed gourmet
the imposter syndrome
indigirl
j autumn
journal to a muse
kp's ramblings
mad teach
magic eraser
the maryann show
media girl
not your ordinary
the other side of the ocean
professor dork
satan's laundromat
sir edwin pegasus
the third attempt
to live and drive in LA
views from a broad
the wrong side of the bed

 

Progressive Women's Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next |

knit me more time...
Monday, April 25, 2005
kid fears

Today on the bus ride home, I thought about this summer's upcoming prelim. I was actually trying to figure out what I was more afraid of-- failing the prelim, or the three months spent studying for the prelim, or the stress that I will need to keep in check while study, or it will wreck havic with my soul and body. And then the Indigo Girls' song Kid Fears came on. This song always reminds me of my first year of college at Hofstra University. I had a little group of first year theatre major friends, Sherri, Taryn, Stacey and Tom*. We were all fresh out of small towns, and very enthusiastic about being out on our own. Looking back on it, I realize how very serious and intense we were about exploring the world (which at that point was Hempstead and NYC) and figuring who were were out as individuals. We were all doing so much for the first time- coming out, drinking, staying out all night, taking the train in at 5am and you don't want to know what else... We were all very devoted to each other. We would spend hours and hours and hours talking in the middle of the night and really validated each other as people. When I had my first big Master Electrician job, on opening night the group made me cards and paper flowers (I still have them). I had never felt so supported by a group of friends before. Well, we would sit around and sing Kid Fears, realizing how separate we were all of a sudden from our kid fears. Taryn would play the guitar and Stacey and I would do the Michael Stipe parts in the background. Afterward we would make Taryn sing White Rabbit and Me & Bobby McGee (she sounded just like Janis, I swear). Now I wish I had my kid fears (or even my first year of college fears) to worry about instead of big things like a prelim exam. *I miss these people a lot sometimes. (More than I miss 99% of my HS classmates, although we went to school for 12+ years with each other.) We all scattered and went our separate ways after our first year (after we figured out we hated Hofstra). I haven't seen any of them in 10 years. I was in touch with Sherri, but we lost touch a while back. Taryn married our friend Tim, and they have kids and I get little cute picture cards from them sometimes at christmas. Stacey and Tom are god knows were- I google them sometimes and can never find them. I just like to imagine that we'll all meet up some day.

posted by knit wit | 4/25/2005 03:39:00 PM

This page is powered by Blogger.
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com