grad school, politics, knitting and other meanderings. And not enough time for any of it.

 

 

: : email knit wit : : knitmemoretime@gmail.com

: : previous posts : :
oh. my. god.
nothing better to post
Yankee, indeed.
exciting news!
kid fears
a windy canoe trip
is it Friday already?
"hey it's me, I'm on the bus"
a little insomnia goes a long way
canoe trip #2


: : archives : :
05.2004 06.2004 07.2004 08.2004 09.2004 10.2004 11.2004 12.2004 01.2005 02.2005 03.2005 04.2005 05.2005 06.2005 07.2005 08.2005 09.2005 10.2005 11.2005

: : daily reads: :
and she knits too
bighappyfunhouse
birdfarm
bookish wendy
feminist blogs
feministe
fidgety budgie
get yourself some boring
the half-assed gourmet
the imposter syndrome
indigirl
j autumn
journal to a muse
kp's ramblings
mad teach
magic eraser
the maryann show
media girl
not your ordinary
the other side of the ocean
professor dork
satan's laundromat
sir edwin pegasus
the third attempt
to live and drive in LA
views from a broad
the wrong side of the bed

 

Progressive Women's Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next |

knit me more time...
Saturday, April 30, 2005
unnecessary detail

News of the teacher I know from my old high school who had an inappropriate relationships with a 17 year old student has now spread to various news outlets around Maine, as well as N.H. and Boston as well as around my hometown. I've gotten emails from others I went to high school with that are full of shock and sadness. Everyone knows the teacher involved- she was one of those rare teachers who went the extra mile all the time for students- she helped students graduate from high school, she was there for students who were dealing with too much, and she wrote lots of letters of recommendation. What she was thinking when she made this mistake, I don't know, but I can't help feeling immense sadness about the whole situation. I'm over a thousand miles away right now, but I can feel the scandal even from here. Everyone in town knows Ms. Lepkowski, and everyone knows who the student involved was. Gossip doesn't take much to travel around when everyone sees everyone at the grocery store. When my mother first heard about this on Wednesday, she called the hairdresser- who else would know all the details? The newspaper article that broke the story has been bugging me ever since I read it on Thursday (the one linked to in my last post). The article has so much unnecessary detail in it- graphic, personal descriptions that people don't need to know. As if something like this happening isn't terrible enough for everyone who went to Morse, knew Ms. Lepkowski or still goes to Morse and is close to the situation. Thanks to this dramatic newspaper article, liken to something in the National Inquirer, a specific detail (the ear licking) has been picked up by most other news reports. I wrote a letter to the editor about my disgust with the article yesterday. I wonder if the article is over-dramatic because the incident is between a female student and a female teacher. I also wonder if newspaper accounts of a male teacher and a female student would be so dramatic and detailed. Anyway, it is the weekend and I am dogsitting. I need to somehow fit in running errands (including a trip to the yarn store) with a canoe trip (I think canoeing is helping my neck and shoulders immensely) and with getting some work done. Is this really the last week of the semester and is tomorrow really May 1st? Jeezum freakin' crow (as we would have said in HS). I'm just trying to hang on...

posted by knit wit | 4/30/2005 08:43:00 AM

This page is powered by Blogger.
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com