grad school, politics, knitting and other meanderings. And not enough time for any of it.

 

 

: : email knit wit : : knitmemoretime@gmail.com

: : previous posts : :
The Maryann Show
I have no need for anger with intimate strangers*
photo evidence
okay- we do love a couple things about Madison
happy birthday to my little blog
shine on you crazy diamond part ix
and I'll climb the hill in my own way...*
back to the Monday morning rant
homemade sushi
and what's wrong with the people of Maine?


: : archives : :
05.2004 06.2004 07.2004 08.2004 09.2004 10.2004 11.2004 12.2004 01.2005 02.2005 03.2005 04.2005 05.2005 06.2005 07.2005 08.2005 09.2005 10.2005 11.2005

: : daily reads: :
and she knits too
bighappyfunhouse
birdfarm
bookish wendy
feminist blogs
feministe
fidgety budgie
get yourself some boring
the half-assed gourmet
the imposter syndrome
indigirl
j autumn
journal to a muse
kp's ramblings
mad teach
magic eraser
the maryann show
media girl
not your ordinary
the other side of the ocean
professor dork
satan's laundromat
sir edwin pegasus
the third attempt
to live and drive in LA
views from a broad
the wrong side of the bed

 

Progressive Women's Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next |

knit me more time...
Friday, May 27, 2005
wanted:

Wanted: A best friend (a.k.a. a kindred spirit, a partner in crime, a Rhoda to my Mary etc...) Preface: Let me preface by making it known that I am in no way shape or form desperate for friends. I have so many amazing people in my life- I am lucky to have Jo, my family, Jony, my super-supportive friends back in NY, and wonderful academic mentors (both at UW and not). That said, I am lacking a best friend here in Wisconsin. Yeah, I've met great people, but I want someone I really click with- someone who just really gets me. Sure, I keep myself happily busy here- working, working, hanging out with Jo and such, but sometimes I'd like someone to call and say hi to- to talk about life with. Someone to have a beer with at Mickey's. I just worry that it is becoming more difficult to make friends since I am approaching 30 and I am in the isolating field of academia. I am honing in on what I want from a good friend and thus I am becoming increasingly picky. I also don't have time or energy to go out and actively meet new people. All of this just really doesn't bode well for making a new friend. So, while I am being picky- here is the kind of friend I would love to have: - All the usual stuff applies- funny, smart, respect for all people, kind etc... exceedingly kind, actually. - Someone who is stable. Not moody at all. - Issues are okay- but not a whole lifetime subscription. Everyone has shit, but I would love to find someone with an awareness of their shit. And an ability to talk about themselves, reflect on themsleves, and their lives and laugh about it. - Someone who calls and says hi. Just to check in and tell me stories about their day. - Someone who will understand if I want to spend a weekend or evening at home, working or hanging out with Jo. Someone who will not only understand this, but will still call me up in a few days and invite me to hang out again. - Someone who is down to earth. Someone who is comfortable camping- who isn't picky about putting on make up or doing their hair. - Someone who doesn't freak about not having an umbrella in the rain. - Someone without an addiction to drama. - Someone who looks critically (and with humor) at the world around them- especially pop culture. - Someone who over-analyzes things at least as much as I do. - Someone who can remind me when I am over-analyzing things. - Someone who knows better than to ever take their shit out on other people. - Someone who can talk about politics for hours- actually listening, engaging, and not getting bent out of shape. - Someone who really values education and life-long learning, even at the expense of being a considered a geek or a brown-noser. Someone who really takes lessons and growth out of everything and everyone around them. - No mean-spiritedness. None. - Of course, liking beer, music, and being able to laugh for hours are all necessary as well. - Age, sexual orientation, gender etc... don't matter in the least. I know meeting someone like this is within the realm of possibility- I have clicked with such people recently (they just don't live anywhere near here) so I know potential friends are out there. This line from the Indigo Girls song that I have been listening to since leaving NY sums it all up pretty well: "hey kind friend help me forget where I've been- kind friend help me remember who I am..."

posted by knit wit | 5/27/2005 05:07:00 PM

This page is powered by Blogger.
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com