Sunday, June 05, 2005
This Thursday morning I will be on my way to Maine. I originally wanted to fly into Newark, NJ and drive up to Maine with Jony, but that planned assumed that tickets to Newark would be cheaper than flying to Maine. This was not the case. It is, in fact, about $550 to fly to Newark and only $300 to fly to Portland. Strange, I know- who would choose to fly to Newark over Maine (especially at that price)?
So, Jony and I won't have our road trip. I am kind of sad about that, but I will get to see her while I am home. We already have plans to go out for food and beer before our reunion even begins. I wish that I could actually take 10 days off from everything, but that's just not possible. But, it will be a much needed break from work, and before I leave I am frantically finishing up some lingering projects... just the prelim will be left (did I just type "just the prelim?" hahaha that's a freakin' riot). I'll spend a few hours a day at the Patten Free Library in this room I always used to study in when I was a kid (and I used to be extra slow shelving books in there when I worked there as the room is so old and beautiful). See that table by the window overlooking the river? That's where you'll be able to find me.
I promise to blog a lot. I love the way Nina blogs about her trips, so I will try to pay homage to that with some photos of my activities and meals in Maine. I'll try to take pictures at my reunion and post some of those too with details. Here are some of my other plans while I am in Maine.
- I'll eat a bunch of meals at my favorite place for Lobstah rolls- Fat Boy's. I'll also try to have plenty of their mocha-add-banana frappes and onion rings.
- I'll eat as much as I can at home. Dad said he'll make fiddleheads, broc&cheese, scallops and maybe even some lobstah.
- (enough about eating) My sister and I want to drive up to Fort Fairfield in Northern Maine too see our grandfather who I haven't seen in quite a while.
- Sinking my toes into the cool sand at Popham Beach, at night. Jony and I always love to go to the beach at night and just sit and talk.
- Maybe the Montsweag flea market on the weekend (my Nana used to have a table there). Maybe I'll go through the old photos at the antique stores downtown. Maybe they'll also be a trip to some of the used books stores on Route 1? Those things will all depend on time, I suppose.
Okay- back to work now. Since I have been posting what I am listening to a lot lately-- right now I have on an itunes mix I made of all Cat Stevens and Simon & Garfunkel. It is wonderful. There are songs coming on that I never think to listen to usually (like Rubylove, Somewhere They Can't Find Me, Overs etc...)
posted by knit wit | 6/05/2005 10:56:00 AM