Saturday, June 04, 2005
how the summer is shaping up...
I am starting to really get into the prelim studying now. I decided starting with theory and methods is not only motivating (as I love it) but also is logical as it serves as a foundation for everything else. I am finishing up some of those stray projects so that very little else will be taking up my time.
So, the prelim is taking over my summer. I know other things will fall by the wayside- following politics, watching movies, knitting for more than a few rows a day, organizing my files (currently I just have 3 full draws of notes and articles that need to be sorted and filed and that's not happening any time soon) etc... I also want to start re-reading some Virginia Wolf and Gertrude Stein, but that will also have to wait until August. I need to keep possible distractions at a minimum.
But I have other plans beyond prelim studying. I really do. Here are some of my no-pressure summer goals:
- Canoeing as much as possible. At least an hour or 2 every other day, or every day if the weather is nice.
- Cooking great food with our Harmony Valley farm share. I am thinking about rhubarb muffins this weekend.
- Keeping my kitchen herb garden alive.
- Learning how to cook a mean Squash Curry.
- Slowly and steadily working on my cotton cardigan.
- Utilizing everything I know about taking care of myself physically and emotionally to try to curb the damage that could be done by prelim-related stress.
And if I can make it to August 2nd, there is plenty to look forward to the rest of the month- my sister is planning on visiting, I'd love for my parents to visit, the conference in Philly and seeing some great people while I am there.
posted by knit wit | 6/04/2005 08:50:00 AM