grad school, politics, knitting and other meanderings. And not enough time for any of it.

 

 

: : email knit wit : : knitmemoretime@gmail.com

: : previous posts : :
on being bearable
war of the worlds
"words"
patterns
looking ahead
shopping and going out...
shameless Jo promotion
coffee please!
satisfaction
happy 4th


: : archives : :
05.2004 06.2004 07.2004 08.2004 09.2004 10.2004 11.2004 12.2004 01.2005 02.2005 03.2005 04.2005 05.2005 06.2005 07.2005 08.2005 09.2005 10.2005 11.2005

: : daily reads: :
and she knits too
bighappyfunhouse
birdfarm
bookish wendy
feminist blogs
feministe
fidgety budgie
get yourself some boring
the half-assed gourmet
the imposter syndrome
indigirl
j autumn
journal to a muse
kp's ramblings
mad teach
magic eraser
the maryann show
media girl
not your ordinary
the other side of the ocean
professor dork
satan's laundromat
sir edwin pegasus
the third attempt
to live and drive in LA
views from a broad
the wrong side of the bed

 

Progressive Women's Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next |

knit me more time...
Wednesday, July 13, 2005
freedom

There's a guy I work with (we share an office) who I frequently get in a lot of political "discussions" with. Well, sometimes they are discussions and sometimes they are arguments. Among our topics of discussion...
  • I had to explain to him a while back that people not everyone who studies gender or women's studies thinks women are better then men. Actually, that would probably be a minority. I also explained that studying gender, meant studying men, not only women. I added that most sociologists and activists (the ones I know anyway) would define feminism simply as wanting equality for men and women. He was surprised with all this information, but I couldn't tell if he was pleased or not to know I wasn't the "feminazi" he imaged me to be.
  • Who the so-called "insurgents" really are in Iraq. Why they might not want us occupying their country. This one ended in silence from my office mate. What do you mean, fighting against an occupation?
  • Whether or not women can be high school principals (seriously, he brought this up with me one day). He tried to argue that women are only suited for elementary schools and (I couldn't believe it could get any worse) that black men are more suited for high schools like Madison East because black kids will listen to them. Fuming, I told him he really shouldn't even suggest such things to me, and that he didn't want to have this discussion with me as I was about to go off on a rant on sexism/racism, and that I really needed to get some work done. He stopped talking. Was he trying to pick a fight with me?
  • Yesterday he announced that he thought the saying "freedom isn't free" was brilliant. Because, he reasoned, freedom isn't free. You have to pay a price for it. I just sighed heavily, pretended to be very involved in whatever I was doing, and never replied.
I mean, come on people. Take a moment and really think about that "freedom isn't free" statement you have coming out of Bush's mouth/on your bumper sticker. Think about it. Let me try following that statement through-- if freedom wasn't free, then it would cost something, and then it wouldn't be... free? That seems to be one of the most vapid, illogical statements I've ever run in to. It is like nails on a chalkboard whenever I here it. Today hopefully we'll try to keep the conversation to work/computers. Oh, no, that isn't safe either. Then we'll have our usual Apple versus PC arguments.


posted by knit wit | 7/13/2005 07:47:00 AM

This page is powered by Blogger.
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com