grad school, politics, knitting and other meanderings. And not enough time for any of it.

 

 

: : email knit wit : : knitmemoretime@gmail.com

: : previous posts : :
happy birthday jo!
(on) nodding (off)
lupins for you
the way we were
"party on Wayne!"
headache, headache, go away.
rewards
damn it
to my gray hairs
What are the chances?


: : archives : :
05.2004 06.2004 07.2004 08.2004 09.2004 10.2004 11.2004 12.2004 01.2005 02.2005 03.2005 04.2005 05.2005 06.2005 07.2005 08.2005 09.2005 10.2005 11.2005

: : daily reads: :
and she knits too
bighappyfunhouse
birdfarm
bookish wendy
feminist blogs
feministe
fidgety budgie
get yourself some boring
the half-assed gourmet
the imposter syndrome
indigirl
j autumn
journal to a muse
kp's ramblings
mad teach
magic eraser
the maryann show
media girl
not your ordinary
the other side of the ocean
professor dork
satan's laundromat
sir edwin pegasus
the third attempt
to live and drive in LA
views from a broad
the wrong side of the bed

 

Progressive Women's Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next |

knit me more time...
Friday, July 01, 2005
I just have to say...

I just have to take a break from celebrating Jo's birthday (not a break from studying as I have yet to do anything but feel sick about that today) to go on a brief political rant about O'Connor resigning. Holy Crap, folks. I got the news in my inbox this morning from HRC and immediately felt a terrible sinking feeling in my stomach. More than once today I have thought "good god- if only Kerry was going to be replacing these judges and not Bush." This was one of main the reasons why I made phone calls and pounded the pavement for Kerry (I'm not, nor have ever been a die-hard democrat). O'Conner was the deciding "moderate" swing vote on so many choice and civil rights issues. Bush will only take this opportunity to put one (two, as I am sure Renquist isn't going to last long) very neo-con, fascist judge(s) on the court (you can read about some of them here if you have a strong stomach). Roe v. Wade will most likely be overturned if 2 of these neo-cons get on the bench. When abortion becomes illegal the Bush Crime Family will have even more blood on their hands (as women begin dying from illegal abortions). I spent yesterday afternoon with my BBBS little sister. She had some important questions out-of-the-blue about Bush and why he hates poor people. She wanted to know why Bush didn't have to work hard to become the president- how he had connections, and came from a privileged background. We talked about how much the war in Iraq is costing, and what that money could be spent on here in the U.S. This is a kid who doesn't have healthcare and her mother can't work because there is no childcare for her children. She didn't know that in other countries (like Canada), everyone has healthcare. She also wanted to know why toys were made in China and not here where people need jobs. She told me when she asks questions in math class, the teachers tell her to figure it out herself. But, she loves activity/puzzle books and we discovered that she loves Mad Libs. She could have done those all day. I tried to talk to her about Pat Hill Collins' Black Feminist Thought, but she might be slightly too young to get that (yet). We passed the large Army recruiting building on the way to her place. It is, after all, right next to the low-income housing development. I told her that I'll have to make her watch Fahrenheit 9/11 soon. Okay. That was enough of a political rant. I feel better now.

posted by knit wit | 7/01/2005 05:40:00 PM

This page is powered by Blogger.
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com