grad school, politics, knitting and other meanderings. And not enough time for any of it.

 

 

: : email knit wit : : knitmemoretime@gmail.com

: : previous posts : :
glass half full
random favorites
movie marathon
update
any ice cream flavor will do
vernacular photography
freedom
on being bearable
war of the worlds
"words"


: : archives : :
05.2004 06.2004 07.2004 08.2004 09.2004 10.2004 11.2004 12.2004 01.2005 02.2005 03.2005 04.2005 05.2005 06.2005 07.2005 08.2005 09.2005 10.2005 11.2005

: : daily reads: :
and she knits too
bighappyfunhouse
birdfarm
bookish wendy
feminist blogs
feministe
fidgety budgie
get yourself some boring
the half-assed gourmet
the imposter syndrome
indigirl
j autumn
journal to a muse
kp's ramblings
mad teach
magic eraser
the maryann show
media girl
not your ordinary
the other side of the ocean
professor dork
satan's laundromat
sir edwin pegasus
the third attempt
to live and drive in LA
views from a broad
the wrong side of the bed

 

Progressive Women's Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next |

knit me more time...
Thursday, July 21, 2005
on coming out

Since my present life is boring/excruciating/exhausting/dull, and all I am doing is wallowing in the misery of trying to memorize huge amounts of information, I thought I'd tell you a little story today instead of another prelim-post. Why this story? Well, while I was eating dinner (amazing left over Squash Curry- only my favorite food ever) Jo was watching some documentary on TV of older lesbians telling their coming out stories. I watched it for a few minutes with her, and it made me remember this... When I came out I was 18, and in my first year of college near NYC. My friend Sherri and I came out together (well, not together, we were just great friends). We searched everywhere for any info on being gay-- all we had was section of the school library with a few such books (the world wide web wasn't really around then). Well, trying to be very good young lesbians, we read all about lesbian and gay history. We read about Stonewall, Christopher Street, and the West Village. So, we took the train in one weekend in search of this "heart" of gay America. We went into the city and took the train down to Sheridan Square. I have such fond memories of spending so much time in that neighbor, although I usually go to the East Village now instead. We walked past the Stonewall bar and through the garden across the street (picture above), and then we stumbled on the Oscar Wilde Bookstore. We went in, of course, and were totally in awe of all the gay and lesbian books. Not even knowing where to begin, and being very eager, we asked the friendly woman behind the counter for suggestions. I think I told her that I had just come out, and wanted a couple really good lesbian novels- like, you know, "must read books." She walked me over to the fiction section and handed me two books- The Well of Loneliness and Curious Wine. They were "the best," she told me. The first one I read was the shorter and "newer" of the two, Curious Wine. Total crap. I mean, as trashy as any silly erotic romance novel. So terrible and badly written, I'm surprised that I even finished reading it. Then, I read The Well of Loneliness. It started out pretty interesting, in that old-novel kind of way. But it grew more and more depressing with every page. It was a miserably sad book that left me seriously scarred for quite some time. I haven't read any lesbian fiction since.

posted by knit wit | 7/21/2005 08:38:00 PM

This page is powered by Blogger.
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com