grad school, politics, knitting and other meanderings. And not enough time for any of it.

 

 

: : email knit wit : : knitmemoretime@gmail.com

: : previous posts : :
any ice cream flavor will do
vernacular photography
freedom
on being bearable
war of the worlds
"words"
patterns
looking ahead
shopping and going out...
shameless Jo promotion


: : archives : :
05.2004 06.2004 07.2004 08.2004 09.2004 10.2004 11.2004 12.2004 01.2005 02.2005 03.2005 04.2005 05.2005 06.2005 07.2005 08.2005 09.2005 10.2005 11.2005

: : daily reads: :
and she knits too
bighappyfunhouse
birdfarm
bookish wendy
feminist blogs
feministe
fidgety budgie
get yourself some boring
the half-assed gourmet
the imposter syndrome
indigirl
j autumn
journal to a muse
kp's ramblings
mad teach
magic eraser
the maryann show
media girl
not your ordinary
the other side of the ocean
professor dork
satan's laundromat
sir edwin pegasus
the third attempt
to live and drive in LA
views from a broad
the wrong side of the bed

 

Progressive Women's Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next |

knit me more time...
Friday, July 15, 2005
update

It's 9:30pm. I'm working on a draft of my article. Why am I doing this? I must be seriously insane. I am looking forward to only leaving the house once between now and Monday morning (I have to go and pick up our vegetables tomorrow). I need to finish all my notes for the macro section of the prelim this weekend, and then it is on to 2 weeks of making outlines, notecards, and memorizing like a crazy woman. All of a sudden I am struck with an intense urge to read fiction. I mean, to get lost in a really wonderful novel. It has been at least 4 years since I last read fiction. It has been longer than that since I read fiction regularly. I want to re-read To the Lighthouse and My Antonia. I want to read War of the Worlds and Gertrude Stein's Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas. I even want to read The Beekeepers Apprentice that at least 10 people have told me is wonderful. (But, I am so very cautious with any "new-ish" fiction.) I want to read really good fiction, damn it. Any recommendations? Speaking of fiction. I worked at an indie bookstore in NY where we used to get a kick out of customers who came in looking for the "non-fiction" section. We used to say something snotty like "non-fiction is everywhere but over there" (over there meaning the fiction wall along the side of the store). Then we would wait for the confused and/or irritated customer to sort the distinction out in their head before finally asking "what kind of non-fiction were you looking for" with a smile. Jeez, that bookstore took itself far too seriously!

posted by knit wit | 7/15/2005 09:32:00 PM

This page is powered by Blogger.
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com