grad school, politics, knitting and other meanderings. And not enough time for any of it.

 

 

: : email knit wit : : knitmemoretime@gmail.com

: : previous posts : :
paddling the day away
where did the week go?
seeking advice
a suggestion to the Illinois Tollway
a close call
denied.
wayside
doing nothing
poetry slam
aftermath


: : archives : :
05.2004 06.2004 07.2004 08.2004 09.2004 10.2004 11.2004 12.2004 01.2005 02.2005 03.2005 04.2005 05.2005 06.2005 07.2005 08.2005 09.2005 10.2005 11.2005

: : daily reads: :
and she knits too
bighappyfunhouse
birdfarm
bookish wendy
feminist blogs
feministe
fidgety budgie
get yourself some boring
the half-assed gourmet
the imposter syndrome
indigirl
j autumn
journal to a muse
kp's ramblings
mad teach
magic eraser
the maryann show
media girl
not your ordinary
the other side of the ocean
professor dork
satan's laundromat
sir edwin pegasus
the third attempt
to live and drive in LA
views from a broad
the wrong side of the bed

 

Progressive Women's Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next |

knit me more time...
Sunday, September 18, 2005
film review: Darkness

Last night we rented Darkness. Jo is reading reviews of it online right now and is so shocked that people hated it so much (5.3 stars on imdb- give me a break!). I guess if you like current horror films that did nothing for me (The Grudge, Hide and Seek etc...) then skip this one. This is a European film very much in the tradition of some of the greatest horror movies ever made (in my opinion, anyway) and it scared the crap out of me (few movies do that). The people working at Bongo video told us it was too slow. Sorry- this was not too slow- rather, it was beautifully filmed. Like a Kubrick film or a Dario Argento film. Every shot was freakin' beautiful. And it borrowed from some of my favorite horror movies- but not in a way that ripped them off. It had elements from some of my favorite horror films- Rosemary's Baby, The Shining, and Susperia. The end was not expected (something else that is hard to do) and the whole movie just leaves you really creeped out. I actually woke up in the middle of the night thinking about it, and then tried to forget it because thinking about this movie in the dark was starting to really freak me out. I would just highly recommend it. And while we are on the topic of films- I am so very, very sad that Robert Wise died this week. He directed so many of my all-time favorite films (The Sound of Music, West Side Story, The Haunting, The Day the Earth Stood Still). I think we own all of those on dvd. If I had a full day to spend (which I don't), I would watch them all in tribute to Robert Wise.

posted by knit wit | 9/18/2005 08:35:00 AM

This page is powered by Blogger.
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com