grad school, politics, knitting and other meanderings. And not enough time for any of it.

 

 

: : email knit wit : : knitmemoretime@gmail.com

: : previous posts : :
cursing my name
really?
when the going gets tough the tough make soup
okay, I admit it.
more progress
some progress
a few of my favorite autumnal things
what kind of crap is this?
getting my head shrunk?
trick or treat


: : archives : :
05.2004 06.2004 07.2004 08.2004 09.2004 10.2004 11.2004 12.2004 01.2005 02.2005 03.2005 04.2005 05.2005 06.2005 07.2005 08.2005 09.2005 10.2005 11.2005

: : daily reads: :
and she knits too
bighappyfunhouse
birdfarm
bookish wendy
feminist blogs
feministe
fidgety budgie
get yourself some boring
the half-assed gourmet
the imposter syndrome
indigirl
j autumn
journal to a muse
kp's ramblings
mad teach
magic eraser
the maryann show
media girl
not your ordinary
the other side of the ocean
professor dork
satan's laundromat
sir edwin pegasus
the third attempt
to live and drive in LA
views from a broad
the wrong side of the bed

 

Progressive Women's Blog Ring
Join | List | Previous | Next |

knit me more time...
Friday, November 18, 2005
behind the times at the life cafe

I just noticed that they made a movie version of Rent. (It also seems they remade the Poseidon Adventure, and the Fog- how completely unnecessary!) Jeez. I tend to be a purist about these things- I don't think they should have made a movie out of an incredible musical like Rent, especially this one. It just belongs on the stage- not on film. And isn't it kind of not about this generation of college kids? Or is the movie targeting those of us around 30 who lived near nyc and around a lot of theatre people? I haven't listened to Rent in years. I still probably know all the words by heart. It opened at the Nederlander while I was a theatre major (10 years ago), and as soon as we found out they left the first 2 rows open until the day of the performance for students, a whole bunch of us spent the night outside the theatre to get tickets as soon as they opened (well, it wasn't really the entire night- we were out at some club until 3am or so and then decided to try waiting for tickets). It was the original cast, relatively unknown at the time, and one of the very best shows I have ever seen. This musical was about us and it had total cult status like nothing else did (even more than the Rocky Horror Picture Show). Being the irritating theatre majors that we were, we used to sing songs from it all over the place- on the train, on the street, in diners etc... and probably annoyed the hell out of a lot of people. But, like I said, I haven't listened to Rent in years- it was a part of my life back when I used to have conversations about worshiping Stephen Sondheim, but not any more (thank god, although I will still argue Sondheim is the musical genius). I am more excited about the remastered dvd of the Sound of Music (that would make such a great holiday present, hint, hint).

posted by knit wit | 11/18/2005 07:42:00 AM

This page is powered by Blogger.
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com